Wednesday, December 4, 2013

December 4



It is December 4, 2013, exactly two years from the day I was helicoptered to University of Maryland Shock Trauma, where doctors expected me to die.
Today it is sunny and cool. I had eggs and toast for breakfast, checked my email, played ball with my dog, and now I'm getting ready to do some writing before I have to leave for a doctor’s appointment.
Today, my novella A PARTRIDGE IN THE AU PAIR’S TREE helps launch StoryFront, Amazon Publishing’s new short fiction program. SEA OF LOVE, my first full-length novel since my illness, was released yesterday. A novella in the CHRISTMAS ON MAIN STREET anthology came out a few weeks ago. I am up to my eyebrows in promotion.
Today, I’m in the process of moving to a new house that will be easier for me to manage.
Today, I will drive myself to Baltimore to get steroid shots that will help with pain. I will use my prosthetic leg and two canes to walk from my car, through the lobby, and down the hall to the reception desk of my doctor’s office.
Today, I am blessed with friendship and support.
            Today, I am under contract for four more novels.
            Yes, the last two years have been filled with intense frustration and grief. But there’s been joy and laughter, too. I guess that means I’m just another member of the human race.
I’ll take it.
I am alive today, December 4, 2013, and I’m grateful.


1 comment:

Liz Flaherty said...

"Just another member" has a ring to it, doesn't it? I'm happy for you.