Thursday, August 28, 2014

Thanks, That Was Fun!


I am being discharged from Baltimore's Sinai Hospital tomorrow afternoon, and I have to say it has been a wonderful experience -- far less traumatizing than I feared. I think I'd equated returning to a hospital with returning to the useless, helpless blob I was during my last hospitalization.  It didn't happen. Having hip surgery did not turn me into the nearly dead thing I once was. This time around, I was just Susan in the hospital.

Surgeons found my hip to be even more messed up than they expected, but the surgery went smoothly. Pain wasn't anywhere near as bad as I anticipated. And, most importantly, the staff here at Sinai -- including the rehab unit -- were INCREDIBLE. I have spent the last ten days with some of the most compassionate, skilled, and truly dedicated people I've ever met.

So tomorrow, after a full week on the rehabilitation floor, I am headed home for about five more weeks of restricted movement and physical therapy. I know I will do fine. I have to -- looks like I'm coming back here in a couple months to do my knee. Woo-hoo! I'd be dancing right now, but I'm not allowed.

4 comments:

Monique said...

Aren't the Ortho guys great! Told ya! Now you do as much as you can...the mantra is , can I do it any damage? If not then do whatever you can. Can't wait to hear more from you. Guess the candles worked!

DachsieMom said...

Wahoo indeed!! I'm doing a pretty fancy Happy Dance for you ... oops. Um, it's OK, it was just a lamp.

I'm so glad you're doing better!

Donna

Anonymous said...

Hello. I am a fan. I have been wondering when I could expect a new book. I feel like I have been waiting forever. Stumbled across your blog.
Now I understand.
I am sorry. You have discovered a strength you didn't know you possessed. I know you're tired of the shit that keeps flying your way, but you are a one-legged romance writing goddess.
You go,girl.

SUSAN DONOVAN said...

Well, Anonymous fan, thanks for wanting a new novel from me, but I haven't completely fallen off the face of the earth. I've had two novels published since 2013 (SEA OF LOVE and THE SWEETEST SUMMER) and two new novellas…plus lots more to come. But yes, I'm way, way behind. :)